Oh dear, it’s a New Year January 1, 2011Posted by judylobo in Dogs and cats, maps, Movie Reviews, Photography, Politics, Religion, Science, Supreme Court, wildlife, Zoos.
Here we are once again. A new year, a fresh start and all of that other sappy rot that people say on this day. Yes, this old woman who yells at clouds never put much stock into making New Year resolutions. I have found that they never quite work out, do they? I am the type that stopped wishing for world peace as I blew out my birthday candles years ago. I would describe myself as a realist – with a dash of optimism mixed in with a large helping of cynicism.
– So what kind of year was it? I honestly could not remember so I started to look at my blog postings for this past calendar year to see what peaked my interest enough to blog, post photos and generally fill up your in-boxes with my crap. I laughed quite a bit as I reviewed my interests. Before I share some favorite posts, let me wish you all a most Happy New Year and while I no longer waste precious time wishing for world peace I do wish you all good health, an energized president Obama, some decent new laws and a renewed, hopeful political scene (sigh).
In chronological order here are some of my favorite posts from 2010:
– ‘It’s not the end of the world it just feels that way. – The embarrassing, very sad loss of Ted Kennedy’s Senate seat yesterday by the uber-incompetent Martha Coakley to Scott Brown is crushing’.
– Joy on K Street – You cannot underestimate the staggering blow to democracy that was accomplished by the conservative side of the Un-Supreme Court yesterday. Their 5 to 4 decision to grant corporations a new and uber-powerful status will change everything that you know and love/hate about our political process. The Roberts Court has granted corporations the same status as ‘people’ and therefore has First Amendment privileges.
– Lost and Found – I found an adorable dog named Gia and was able to return her to her very grateful owner.
– I was asked by a reporter if I had an opinion – (Let’s all laugh together at that line).
– I posted my 1000th movie review : Free popcorn for all!
– The Fat Lady Sang and health care became the law of the land.
– Shower Curtain Geography caught my fancy
– My blog title “Are you high” has gotten a lot of hits – (I am sure people are disappointed when they get to the post).
– While strolling thru the park one day still makes me laugh –
– The end of Law & Order was sad – Doink Doink.
– Remiss, Bothered and Bewildered was featured on wordpress’ homepage for a day and got uber-hits.
– Manhattanhenge still sparks my interest.
– I celebrated five years with my dog Benny – here’s to Cinco de Benny (that’s Benny in front of the snowman above).
– I still have a dream (but it is getting murky).
I thank you for reading my rantings. I thank you for your comments. I thank you for being there. Oh yes, one more thing. I really secretly do still wish for world peace when I blow out my birthday candles (don’t tell anyone – it will break my crusty ‘old woman yells at cloud’ exterior).
Shower Curtain Geography April 8, 2010Posted by judylobo in maps, Photography, Politics.
I love maps. I could stare at maps all day. I love maps so much that I have shower a curtain that displays the entire world (if you discount the polar regions). I like t stare at maps and think about where I have been and where I would like to go next. The news about the coup in Kyrgyzstan made me wonder exactly where this latest trouble spot was located. Knowing that it was one of the ‘Stans’ gave me a pretty good idea where it was but my shower curtain revealed all to me faster than a Google search. Our military base is important to ‘us’ for apparent reasons – location, location, location. This will most likely sort itself out sooner rather than later. There is nothing we won’t promise (to a new dictatorship) in order to keep one of our many military bases open and operating. Stay tuned. Meanwhile, enjoy my shower curtain.